Wednesday, June 29, 2016

What Does Everyday Mercy Look Like?



“May I take your order?” asks our server. We hadn’t looked at our menus yet and asked for more time. “I’m sorry, so sorry!” she says rushing away. We’re a little confused by her reaction, but we continue talking about evangelization programs and activities we can "do" in this Year of Mercy that would bring people to experience the love of Christ. “Are you ready to order?” asks the server a little while later. Before any of us speaks, she apologizes again and her eyes fill up with tears, “I’m sorry; I don’t know why I’m acting this way.” Feeling uneasy, we place our orders.

Our food is served only to discover that two of three orders are wrong. “How is your food?” asks our server? We smile and nod timidly that all is fine. To be friendly, we ask her name. “Please, please, don’t give me a bad report. I’m sorry. I need this job,” she replies as tears stream down her face. We do our best to convince her that is the furthest from our thoughts. “My name is Hannah. Would you pray for me?” she asks.  "I’ve got three children and I’m being evicted from my apartment. I don’t know what to do or where to go. I know that Jesus loves me; but right now I’m scared.” We hold our breaths momentarily and then I reach out and hold her hand in mine; we pray aloud. We continue to pray silently as we listen to Hannah tell us all that was happening in her life.

After our encounter with Hannah, we sat quietly trying to make sense of it all, when my friend spoke: “Today, as I was walking and praying the sorrowful mysteries, I saw Jesus carrying his cross suffering terribly.” Then I heard Jesus say in my heart, “Today you will see many people in your path suffering crosses.”  Instantly, we knew this prophecy had come true before our very eyes. A sacred silence filled the space of our table. “We’d better go now, before we say something to ruin this blessed moment” advised my friend. In silence we left.
We didn’t solve Hannah’s problems that day, but I feel sure that she experienced the mercy of God. We had started the day intending to “teach” others about the mercy of God only to discover that God had a different plan. He wanted us to experience giving mercy rather than to teach about it. Too many times we get caught up in explanations, apologetics, and programs that we fail to see the Samaritan lying injured by the roadside. At any given moment, mercy reveals itself not in grand gestures, but expresses itself simply as an attitude on our part, as a way of treating others and the world around us that is motivated by love. Mercy is our response to another person’s suffering. 

Pope Francis envisions the church as a healing force in the world simply by extending the love God to people in the ordinary circumstances of their duty-bound lives. Seared in our hearts are photos of Pope Francis kissing the severely disfigured man, the paraplegic, and the leper.


What does everyday mercy look like? Mercy is the face of Jesus as revealed in the image of The Divine Mercy. Notice that in this image Jesus’ right hand is raised in a gesture of blessing and the other hand is inviting us into his heart. The rays emanating out from his heart is the fountain of love and mercy available to us. Vinny Flynn describes the Divine Mercy image as a two-way mirror; it shows who the Father is and who He created us to be; God calls us to become the image of the Divine Mercy. When we look in the mirror, we should see someone who radiates love and healing to all those who come into our life.

How might we become a person of mercy? Mercy is about being present to another human being and accepting and loving them as Christ would love them. It’s about being a sacrament to our neighbor; being a sign of Jesus. When people see you, they feel the embrace of Christ. As my friends and I witnessed at the restaurant, Jesus offers fleeting moments when we become bearers of God’s mercy in the world – listening when we rather be lecturing, holding someone’s hand instead of walking away, and offering a look of compassion instead of irritation. Mercy makes a habit of giving others the unexpected kindness, generosity, and support. As we are transformed into the image of the Divine Mercy, we become world changers building the Kingdom of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment